Current:Home > InvestSteward Health Care files a lawsuit against a US Senate panel over contempt resolution -FutureFinance
Steward Health Care files a lawsuit against a US Senate panel over contempt resolution
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 02:12:55
BOSTON (AP) — Steward Health Care CEO Ralph de la Torre filed a lawsuit Monday against a U.S. Senate committee that pursued contempt charges against him for failing to appear before the panel despite being issued a subpoena.
The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Washington, named nearly all members of the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, including Sen. Bernie Sanders, who chairs the committee which has investigated Steward’s bankruptcy.
The lawsuit claims that the lawmakers are unlawfully violating de la Torre’s constitutional rights.
It alleges that the members of the committee, by trying to compel de la Torre to answer questions about Steward’s bankruptcy, are “collectively undertaking a concerted effort to punish Dr. de la Torre for invoking his Fifth Amendment right not to ‘be compelled . . . to be a witness against himself.’”
De la Torre is asking the court to declare that all actions related to enforcement of the subpoena are invalid and unconstitutional — including the vote of the committee on Sept. 19 approving the criminal contempt resolution and its decision to present the resolution to the full Senate for a vote.
The Senate approved the resolution last week.
“No one can be compelled to testify when they exercise this right under these circumstances. Nor does the Constitution permit Congress to punish and intimidate him, or any other American, for exercising these rights,” William “Bill” Burck, a lawyer for de la Torre, said in a written statement.
The lawsuit comes a day before de la Torre is set to step down as CEO of Steward.
De la Torre has overseen Steward’s network of some 30 hospitals around the country. The Texas-based company’s troubled recent history has drawn scrutiny from elected officials in New England, where some of its hospitals are located.
A spokesperson for de la Torre said Saturday that he “has amicably separated from Steward on mutually agreeable terms” and “will continue to be a tireless advocate for the improvement of reimbursement rates for the underprivileged patient population.”
Sanders said earlier this month that Congress “will hold Dr. de la Torre accountable for his greed and for the damage he has caused to hospitals and patients throughout America.”
Steward has shut down pediatric wards in Massachusetts and Louisiana, closed neonatal units in Florida and Texas, and eliminated maternity services at a hospital in Florida.
Democratic Sen. Edward Markey of Massachusetts said that over the past decade, Steward, led by de la Torre, and its corporate enablers, “looted hospitals across the country for profit, and got rich through their greedy schemes.”
Alexander Merton, an attorney for de la Torre, has said the fault instead lies with “the systemic failures in Massachusetts’ health care system” and that the committee was trying to frame de la Torre as a criminal scapegoat. Merton has also said that de la Torre would agree to testify at a later date.
On Friday, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced her administration had formally seized a hospital through eminent domain to help keep it open and transition to a new owner. St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Boston was one of a group run by Steward. Operations will be transferred to Boston Medical Center.
Two other Steward-operated hospitals in Massachusetts were forced to close after qualified buyers could not be found during the bankruptcy process.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Taylor Swift Wears Her Heart on Her Sleeve as She Cheers on Travis Kelce at Chiefs Game
- Coast Guard rescues 4 Canadians from capsized catamaran off North Carolina
- JetBlue plane tilts back after landing at JFK Airport in New York but no injuries are reported
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Christopher Bell wins at NASCAR race at Homestead to lock up second Championship 4 berth
- Why is F1 second to none when it comes to inclusivity? Allow 'Mr. Diversity' to explain.
- Nashville police chief has spent a career mentoring youths but couldn’t keep his son from trouble
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- What does 'fyi' mean in text? Here's the 411 on how to use it correctly.
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- 'She just needed a chance': How a Florida mom fought to keep her daughter alive, and won
- Coast Guard rescues 4 Canadians from capsized catamaran off North Carolina
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson says new wax figure in Paris needs 'improvements' after roasted online
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Warrant says Minnesota investigators found meth in house after gunbattle that wounded 5 officers
- Is California censoring Elon Musk's X? What lawsuit could mean for social media regulation.
- Bishan Bedi, India cricket great who claimed 266 test wickets with dazzling spin, dies at 77
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
The Book Report: Washington Post critic Ron Charles (October 22)
Vanderpump Rules' Lala Kent Reflects on Rock Bottom Moment While Celebrating 5 Years of Sobriety
‘Superfog’ made of fog and marsh fire smoke blamed for traffic pileups, road closures in Louisiana
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Experiencing Breakouts Even With the Best Skincare Products? Your Face Towel Might Be the Problem
Aruba requests van der Sloot case documents, including his description of killing Natalee Holloway
Cuomo could have run again for New York governor, but declined for family reasons: former top aide.